“Time to Chat? Oral History as Conversation”
Friday April 29 – Saturday April 30, 2022
Deadline for Submissions: January 15, 2022
Oral History in the Mid-Atlantic Region (OHMAR) invites paper, panel, and poster proposals for its 2022 Annual Meeting, “Time to Chat? Oral History as Conversation.” While submissions on the conference theme are preferred, all topics related to the mid-Atlantic region or by oral historians in the mid-Atlantic region are welcome and will be considered equally. The conference will be held virtually for a number of reasons related to the ongoing public health crisis (to include the safety of all, but also the financial implications of the pandemic for many).
“Time to Chat? Oral History as Conversation” encourages both explorations of how people approach oral history and conversations people are having about oral history. We want presenters to interpret the conference theme creatively in the context of their own work and community projects.
Possible topics may include:
- The dynamics between oral historians and narrators
- The nuances of establishing rapport while maintaining professionalism
- The ideal settings for interviews: comfort vs. control
- Balancing the oral historian’s audio-visual needs and the comfort of narrators
- Crafting fair, equitable, and easily understood release forms
- The ethics, and logistics, of compensation for narrators
- Crafting ideal questions
- Any topic related to oral history in the Mid-Atlantic region
The program committee invites proposals for panels or roundtables, as well as for individual papers and posters. We encourage submissions from students, early career oral historians, and community practitioners, and we welcome presentations that feature audio-visual components. Given this conference’s format (no travel costs!) we highly encourage oral historians to use this opportunity to include their narrators as co-presenters.
- Individual or co-authored paper/presentation proposals should include a brief abstract of 250-500 words, a one-paragraph biographical summary about the/each author, and contact information.
- Panel proposals should include a broad, 1-2 sentence description of the panel theme, a brief abstract of 150-200 words for each paper, and a one-paragraph biographical summary about each author. Please provide one point of contact per panel.
- Poster proposals should include a 200-300 word abstract, a one-paragraph biographical summary of the creator, and the creator’s contact information. Accepted participants will ultimately submit a 3-5 minute recording in which they discuss their projects for a pre-recorded poster session viewable on YouTube throughout the conference.
- Other submission formats will be considered. Feel free to be creative. Please be as descriptive as possible when submitting your proposal.
The deadline for all submissions is January 15, 2022. All submissions should be emailed with attachments to email@example.com. Please feel free to contact us at that email address at any time with questions.
OHMAR also invites proposals for the 2022 conference program cover design! The prize for the winning design is free conference registration.
Design Submission Requirements:
Letter size (i.e., 8.5” x 11”)
Include the following:
OHMAR logo (large)
Social media info: (@OHMidAtlantic #OHMAR2022)
OHMAR’s website: https://ohmar.org
Submit as a PDF
Submission Deadline: January 15, 2022
Conference registration fees will be as follows:
Individual, $35 (includes one year membership in OHMAR)
Student, $20 (includes one year membership in OHMAR)
Guest, $10 (no membership included)
All fees help cover operational costs and our Martha Ross Prize, awarded annually to an undergraduate or graduate student creating original work in oral history. None of our Board members receive any compensation for their work with OHMAR.